D and I had a lovely chat about the holidays
What didn't go well
- the kids' not listening was terrible. I reassured D that it doesn't mean our kids are little delinquents, just that they're normal 3,5 year-olds testing boundaries, asserting their independence, etc. Of course that doesn't make it any easier. We missed two nights of eating out due to really bad behaviour but I'm happy to do so and stand my ground.
- There was the kitchen island in this flat instead of a dining room table and those counter stools were uncomfortable to sit on for long periods of time hence not a lot of blogging got done (this may be a good thing too)
- I worked more than I thought I'd have to... but D more than pulled his weight too so all's well.
- Not enough decent pics of me with the kids (there is that one from Sunday). Then again, I'm 5 - 6 kg overweight so I haven't pushed the issue either.
- having MIL and SIL in a separate flat so that our styles didn't annoy the others
SIL bonding with the babies - this was so, so precious for all of us to see
- meeting up with D's granny and having her meet the kids for the first time - SOOOOOO precious!
- read 6 books, 3 non-fiction
- only one headache for me the entire holiday - unheard of in this heat!
- the kids were more independent. I set out clothes and they got dressed by themselves, etc.
- two costumes per kid - one to wear and one drying - any more and they would have been too picky but it was quite simple "the other one is still wet" - so no tantrums were had over swimwear!
- letting the kids carry their own beach toys. They went with HUMONGOUS bags on days 1 and 2 and quickly learned to scale down (I love it!)
- Connor is sleeping through the night and naps without a nappy! (I bribed with one Jelly Tot, not a packet, for every dry nappy; once he had 5, I stopped with the nappies but he still gets the Jelly Tot)
- keeping up with the photos (by keeping up I mean I am only two days behind - awesome!)
- D bathing them while I did lunch every day = I could get on with kitchen stuff without two littles under my feet and they were clean and "starving" so lunch was mostly a breeze.
- my work password expired the weekend before we left. At my secret company you have to change your password on the premises - it can't be done on mobile devices - so I took it as a sign and haven't even looked at work.... this could move to the "things that went terribly" column on Monday when I'm back.
- pool in complex overlooking the beach = no sand = perfection!
- LG washing machine! I did a 3rd load yesterday just to use that machine again :) :)
- the photographer didn't get back to me and I'm super glad. I'm 100% sure we would have gotten 3 decent ones which would have disappointed me. when these two calm down a bit, I'll book a Jhb photo shoot
- So many nice walks on the beach. This was my favourite favourite :) It's not as hot in the afternoons, we're all clean and sand-free, un-lotioned, the kids have napped so are mostly pleasant and they get to run a bit and use up their energy.
Pack less - books & clothes for me, activities for kids :)
Do you like the beach?
What are your favourite things?