|don't you love the reflection of me in my nail?|
So we're back from our holidays and somehow, I survived the party. The longest party ever, but that's a story for another post.
Tomorrow we go back to work which is always slightly depressing after being on a very loose schedule and only kind-of having to think about what to eat, cook and so on.
Decision fatigue is a real thing, people. So much so that this afternoon I tidied up my bedroom, repacked my travel toiletries, packed away beach bags and so on, and.... wait for this... actually made a decision about the paint.
It's such a small thing (except for the money) but I literally couldn't make one more decision 10 days ago. I sent the man an SMS straight away and he's responded so I can go buy the painting things sometime this week.
I was SO enjoying the process of cooking this evening which gave me the idea to write a post about things I enjoy about being home.
I love being away but I also love being home. Let's count the reasons why:
- my bed (I think we're getting old - we were sore every morning and this led to me bounding out of bed a lot earlier than I like - 7.30 ish)
- my kitchen (where I always thought I was quite minimalist but it seems I have an abundance of pots and pans)
- my non-stick pan (can I have an amen?! I caved one day in and went to buy the smallest non-stick pan imaginable so I could fry eggs properly and not have Kendra tell me I'm giving her rotten BROWN eggs...burnt slightly on the edges)
- my cutlery (let's just say I have a thing about using cutlery other people have used.... and may start travelling with my own set)
- my spices (let me tell you cooking meals with just salt and pepper, and packet sauces of bolognaise is not for the faint-hearted)
- the cold on my cheeks (I walked out of the plane and said YESSS, BABY, I LOVE THE COLD to some odd looks from my fellow passengers)
- screwdrivers ((some of you will think we're mean - I don't care - but today D removed the batteries from a Frozen doll... Elsa? (the blonde one). MIL bought K this annoying doll that SINGS Let it go when you press a button on its chest. When she handed it over, D thankfully said straight away to her, "Kendra will be keeping that doll at YOUR house" and there was nervous laughter all around. I said GREAT IDEA a little too enthusiastically from the kitchen. We told K we can't stand hearing that the whole day and I think D said Mummy is going to lose her mind. K was very happy to disable the song, by the way.))
I miss that shower something terrible though - it was amazing. Sadly, our showerhead doesn't even come close. I told D I'm sure this is a problem a couple of hundred rand would fix and it would guarantee us a few hours of happiness a week, separately of course! :)
and I miss this view...
What are you making lemonade out of at the moment?
The kids have another week of school holidays and (for real) said, "OH NO!" when I told them they only go back next Monday. May they always be as happy about school.
PPS I always take some random photos when I do my Sunday photo of the kids. These were taken a few weeks ago but I happen to be wearing the same jersey and the same nail polish today so it seemed fitting. And strangely affirming of my non-capsule capsule :)